As the general population of the Mid-Atlantic region ages, more individuals are relying on mobility devices to get around. This increased need has created a large market for accessories that expand the functionality and safety of wheelchairs, scooters and other products.
Why Accessorize Your Wheelchair?
Whether they’re something you rely on every day, an occasional use mobility device, or a temporary aid to your recovery from an injury or surgery, wheelchairs play an important role for many individuals. Even if you only use your chair for a few hours a day, the wide range of accessories available for today’s most popular models can offer a number of useful benefits. These include:
- Added safety: Prevent tipping, slipping, rolling and other potential issues with accessories such as seatbelts and stabilization bars. While many wheelchairs are equipped with these and other safety features, upgrading an older or simpler unit can be an economical alternative to a costly replacement.
- Added convenience: Carry more with wheelchair accessories such as saddlebags and baskets. If you require additional medical equipment — such as a cane or oxygen tank — while you’re out and about, purpose-built wheelchair accessories make carrying these bulk items easy.
- Added comfort: Features such as foot plates and lumbar pads offer additional comfort and reduce the risk of pressure sores, circulation problems and other potential side effects of long-term wheelchair use. An inexpensive upgrade, comfort accessories offer exceptional value for any wheelchair user.
Wheelchair accessories can benefit you in ways you may not even realize. Towson Medical Equipment carries one of the largest inventories of wheelchair accessories in the Baltimore area. Browse our online inventory to see some of the many accessories we have for sale and learn more about the extensive benefits they offer anyone with mobility issues.
Things to Think About
Most wheelchair accessories aren’t extravagant purchases, but it’s still important to shop smart and make an informed decision. Here are some key questions to ask yourself when shopping for wheelchair accessories:
- What are my needs? If you’re on a fixed income, you can’t afford to spend extra on unnecessary items. Think carefully about what features you will actually use, and whether or not they’re worth the investment.
- What is my budget? Wheelchair accessories are available at a wide range of price points. For something you use every day, however, it may be worth it to invest in a more durable product that will provide years of reliable performance.
- Is my chair worth upgrading? If your wheelchair has persistent comfort, convenience or safety issues, it may be more cost-effective to replace it altogether rather than to use accessories to mitigate issues as they arise. Your purchase may even be covered by Medicare or private insurance.
Not all accessories will work with every chair. If you’re unsure whether or not a product is compatible with your wheelchair, contact a Towson Medical Equipment representative directly. Call, email or visit us in person for assistance from one of our knowledgeable team members. We’ll go over your options in detail and help you choose the best product for your long-term needs.